Interested in hiring Matthew Wayne Selznick (that’s me!) for short and long-term contract work or a full-time position? Here’s the online version of my resume. Or, you can download the condensed version (PDF file).
A Lifetime of Service and Innovation
I am focused on openness, transparency and service while helping define the bleeding edge of creative expression, content distribution and community for multimedia entertainment verticals and independent creators alike.
2000 ~ Present
Independent content creation and development in all media. Consultant to individuals and small to mid-sized firms on storyworlds, story franchises and worldbuilding, ethical community marketing, personal branding, social networking, new media and WordPress-based web development. Producer. Recognized new media pioneer and paradigm-defining author. Voice acting services. Speaker, panelist and mentor. Proud web host for authors, podcasters and other independent creative folks.
- WordPress Developer: MS Hope For A Cure (non-profit), Tom and Violet’s Wedding Blog (The Five-Year Engagement), Jetset Studios, Retroland, Childhood Tweets, Author Shelle Sumners, Crime Prevention 101, Gerber & Co. Podcast and others
- Author: Brave Men Run – A Novel of the Sovereign Era (Swarm Press / MWS Media)
- Anthology Editor: The Sovereign Era: Year One (MWS Media)
- Dramatic Reading and Voice Acting for Brave Men Run – A Novel of the Sovereign Era (Parsec Award Nominee), Escape Pod, Pseudopod, PodCastle, Starship Sofa, Variant Frequencies, Wonder Audiobooks and others
2009 ~ 2011
As a producer for this award winning entertainment media marketing and original content production house, I helped conceive and oversaw online campaigns for motion pictures, television programs and brands from inception and ideation through production and launch. I also acted as web manager and evangelist for Jetset Studios‘ original content, including a niche community site focused on the celebration of retro culture (Retroland.com), a transmedia love letter to the classic Saturday morning cartoons of the seventies and eighties (The Velvet Mouse Show), and a curated collection of nostalgic tweets (Childhood Tweets).
- Bridesmaids (theatrical release web site)
- Being Bridesmaids (interactive feature; 2011 Key Art Award Entry)
- 50/50 (theatrical release website)
- Machete (theatrical and dvd release rich media campaign)
- Space Chimps 2: Comet and Killowatt’s Banana Catch (Flash game)
- The Change-Up: Change Up Your Friends (interactive feature)
- Grease Sing Along (theatrical release web site)
- Co-Producer: Contagion: Nothing Spreads Like Fear (interactive feature)
- Co-Producer / Co-Writer: How Do You Know Interactive Flow Chart (interactive feature)
- Co-Producer / Developer: Retroland (niche content website)
- Community Manager/ Developer / Writer: Jetset Studios (professional website)
- Community Manager / Media Manager: The Velvet Mouse Show (original content production)
- Developer: Paul (theatrical release mobile-friendly website)
- Developer: Childhood Tweets (niche content website)
- Writer: The Virginity Hit: Zach Chat (interactive feature)
2007 ~ 2008
Helped define the editorial style, user experience and culture for the first and second iterations of this curated social search and answer engine through direct daily collaboration with CEO Jason Calacanis and Editorial Director C.K. Sample. I lead the inception, design and daily development of a 3,000 member community that contributed thousands of content pages. Acted as the users’ advocate and debated new directions for new features.
1995 ~ 2005
Held every management-level position, including acting General Manager, at five different superstore locations in Los Angeles and Orange counties. Annual sales ranged from 3 – 12 million dollars in anchor and mall locations. Directly supervised up to fifty staff. As Trainer Mentor for Southern California, I coached and developed other Trainers and led teams on five new store openings and developed store policies and protocols that were adopted chain-wide.
Achievements and Endorsements
- As a producer of online interactive and transmedia marketing content for Jetset Studios, I’ve worked with Fox, NBC / Universal, Summit Entertainment, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures and Warner Brothers Entertainment on projects as diverse as Universal’s number one comedy of the summer of 2011 (Bridesmaids) to the wildly popular in-theaters sing-along revival of Grease.
- Recognized as a pioneer podcaster, podcast novelist and innovative social media native, I’m credited with being an early champion of post-music industry success stories like Jonathan Coulton and Samantha Murphy and sought after as an authority on and example of the independent DIY ethic.
- My book “Brave Men Run – A Novel of the Sovereign Era” was the first to be simultaneously published in paperback, DRM-free e-book and free audio podcast editions in 2005, predicting the trend of authors pursuing alternative distribution and promotion routes well before the advent of the Kindle or iPad.
- Long a proponent of neo-patronage, I created and managed a Kickstarter campaign that surpassed its goal by 25% and help other creators optimize their own crowdfunding campaigns.
Want a second opinion? See my LinkedIn profile for a complete list of endorsements.