Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick 027: (Mis)Adventures In Audiobooks
The underlying purpose of Sonitotum is to share my experiences as an experienced beginner making things, finding success, and staying healthy and sane, and hopefully, provide value through teachable moments.
That doesn’t mean it’s always easy to share the mistakes! Indeed, my ego and personal fragility almost convinced me to… under-represent… my most recent mis-steps.
Instead, in this episode, I talk about the long road I stumbled down in completing the audiobook edition of my latest novel, Light of the Outsider, including some pretty massive last-mile fumbles… and how I know better, and what I’ll do to avoid these errors in the future.
It’s all stuff I hope you can learn from, and, heck, probably get a bit of a laugh out of in the process.
Links and Topics Mentioned In This Episode
- Light of the Outsider is the debut novel in my Shaper’s World Cycle, book one of the Outsider Trilogy, and a stand-alone character-driven gritty fantasy / thriller hybrid.
- Order the audiobook of Light of the Outsider, read by the author (that’s me), directly from me via Gumroad.
- ACX is Audible.com‘s self-publishing platform. They’re very much behind on processing new submissions, so it’s going to be a while before the Light of the Outsider audiobook is available there… order direct from me!
- Audible’s not the only game in town. I use Findaway Voices to distribute my audiobooks to all the other audiobook marketplaces in the world, plus libraries.
- The Zoom recorder I used to record the Light of the Outsider audiobook is the H4. I bought mine eleven years ago… it’s no longer available.
- I mention The Big Plan. You can hear about it or read about it.
- Have you joined the mailing list community of friends and fans? When you do, you’ll get free weekly serial fiction delivered to your inbox as my gift to you.
Rate and Review!
It’s easier than ever to write a review about Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick. Just click!
Subscribe to Sonitotum
The best way to listen to Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick is to subscribe. That way, new episodes automatically appear in your podcast player app or software as soon as they’re published.
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
Don’t forget! You can now also subscribe to the show via Amazon Music.
And of course, you can also receive e-mail notices every time there’s a new episode of Sonitotum.
Be A Guest on Sonitotum
I’m always interested in talking to independent creators willing to have a transparent, in-depth, unguarded conversation about making stuff, finding success as you define it, and staying healthy and sane in the process. Check out this episode with musician Emma Wallace to get a sense of what I’m talking about.
Fill out this form, and when you do, select “Sonitotum Podcast Guest Inquiry” as your contact category.
Equipment and Software
For those who are interested (folks sometimes ask), here are the hardware and software tools I use to make Sonitotum. I have affiliate arrangements with some of these products and services. If you make a purchase when you click through using my links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. It’s a great way to help support the podcast… so thank you!
- Aurycle a460 large diaphragm studio condenser microphone
- Akai Professional MPD218 (MIDI drum pad controller for performing drum parts of “Anastasia” (the opening theme song of this podcast)
- Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD (audio interface for directly connecting microphones and musical instruments to a computer)
- Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (digital audio workstation / music creation software — used when recording and producing “Anastasia” and “Gwinton” (the closing theme of this podcast)
- Adobe Audition CC (digital audio workstation for recording, editing, and producing audio — used to mix and produce the podcast)
- Zencast.fm (podcast media file hosting and distribution service)
- Dreamhost (Website hosting — I’ve been their client since January of 2007! Can you say that about your web hosting company?)
What Did You Think About This Episode?
What are your thoughts? Let’s hear from you in the comments!
Help Support Creative Endeavors
I offer thousands of words of free fiction and articles, as well as hours and hours of free podcast content. I hope it’s all entertaining, informative, and interesting!
If you’d like to support my creative endeavors and help offset the costs — both material, and in terms of resources and energy — to maintain this site, I’ll be grateful for your generosity.
Here are a few ways you can help.