Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick episode 046 tackles a tough one: how do we manage to create under the pressures of everyday life? The personal, professional, and existential conflicts, crises, and challenges of day-to-day life can be exhausting… how can we have anything left for the intensive, deep-focus work of writing and other creative endeavors?
For better or worse, I’ve got some experience with this (as, I’m sure, you do, too). I’ve found some helpful practices and techniques that I hope offer you some guidance to find the strength to remain productive and creative despite the pressures and difficulties of being a human being day in and day out. We must not allow the problems of today to defer achieving tomorrow’s creative triumphs.
What are you going through that’s making it difficult to stick to your creative practice? Have you developed any helpful practices that might be different from what I mention in this episode? Leave a comment; let’s talk about it!
Links and Topics Mentioned in This Episode
- Be sure to pre-order my next work, the non-fiction book for writers, Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure so you can start reading it the moment it’s released on August 30, 2022.
- My day job is helping authors, podcasters, and other creative people bring their creative works to fruition, to market, and to an audience. I can help you, too!
- September will be dedicated to writing a whole bunch of installments of my free weekly serial, Hazy Days and Cloudy Nights: “How It All Got Started.” You can subscribe for free and start getting over seventy five installments, starting from the beginning, while I’m working on the next batch!
- Yep, I’m on TikTok. Check out my First Lines Friday series, and other nonsense.
- Last week’s Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick came up, especially with regard to the importance of endurance in our creative lives. Give it a listen!
- When I’m done with Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure and writing a bunch of Hazy Days installments in September, I’ll return to my next novel, Shadow of the Outsider, the follow-up to Light of the Outsider and “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay,” in October.
- One of the “secrets” to creating in times of pressure and crisis is to have gratitude. I’ve written about how gratitude helps writers.
This episode was made possible in part by the patronage of listeners like you, including J. C. Hutchins and Ted Leonhardt. Want to support the show and be listed in the credits, plus get lots of other goodies, perks, and exclusive access? Become a patron — and join at the Paramount tier before August 31, 2022 to get $100 worth of digital books, audiobooks, and music!
Also! Don’t forget:
For a Limited-Time: All My Books and Music at a HUGE Discount!
Big news! You can get up to 80% off my entire digital catalog of e-books, audiobooks, and music — worth over $100 — when you pledge to become a Paramount Patron for just $20.00 per month!
Become a Paramount-tier patron in the month of August, 2022 and get 14 fiction and non-fiction titles (including 14 e-books and six audiobooks) and six music titles (two full-length albums, one EP, and three singles — 49 songs plus printable lyrics) when you pledge — plus all the benefits of Paramount patronage:
- Every new creative work I create for the duration of your active patronage, including digital and print editions
- Real world goodies every three months for the first year of your active patronage
- A one-on-one call with me every three months
- Over-the-shoulder access to my works in progress — often while I’m working
- Monthly group video chats with me and your fellow patrons
- Access to my notes and other materials supporting my creative works in progress
- The uncut, unedited edition of Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick, including exclusive content
- Shout-outs and acknowledgements in the podcast, in books, and on the patron roster on this site
- Access to an exclusive Discord chat room for community members
You must become a Paramount patron before noon on August 31st, 2002 (Pacific Time / UTC -7) to receive my entire digital catalog. Don’t wait!
Get My Complete Digital Catalog to Date:
- Books! Science Fiction, Fantasy, Literary, Horror, and Non-Fiction:
- Brave Men Run — A Novel of the Sovereign Era (e-book editions)
- “The World Revolves Around You — A Sovereign Era Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- The Sovereign Era: Year One — A Sovereign Era Anthology (e-book editions)
- “Canary in a Coal Mine — A Sovereign Era Tale” by P.G. Holyfield (e-book editions)
- Paramount — A Novel of the Sovereign Era (e-book editions)
- “The News from Bewilder Pond — A Sovereign Era Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Light of the Outsider — The Outsider Trilogy Volume One — A Novel of the Shaper’s World Cycle (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay — A Tale of the Shaper’s World Cycle” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “Reggie vs Kaiju Storm Chimera Wolf — a Daikaiju Universe Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “Cloak — A Tale of the Protector Cycle” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Four Stories — A Literary Collection of Stories and Essays (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Worldbuilding for Writers, Gamers, and Other Creators: Star, Planet, Moon (e-book editions)
- Reading “The Amazing Spider-Man” — A Fun Critical Review for Writers (e-book editions)
- Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure — Three Things Every Independent Author Must Have for Self-Publishing Success (e-book editions)
- Music! Analog and Digital Solo Acoustic and Semi-Acoustic Studio and Live Recordings:
- Hundred Seller / Background Music — EP and Live Album Collection (MP3 and PDF files)
- Test Pressing — LP (MP3s and PDF files)
- Anyman: The John Smith EP (MP3s and PDF files)
- “Anastasia — Theme from Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick” — instrumental single (MP3 file)
- “Gnatcatcher — Theme from The DIY Endeavors Podcast” — instrumental single (MP3 file)
- “The Ghost in You” — Psychedelic Furs cover — single (MP3 file)
How It All Works
Pledge as a patron at the Paramount patron level for $20.00 per month — you’ll gain immediate access to all patron benefits, including the Discord chat room and lots of exclusive content. After this special offer ends at noon PDT on August 31, 2022, you’ll receive access to my entire commercially released digital catalog to date. Your patron pledge will automatically renew on the first of every subsequent month, giving you access to all future products (digital and print) and all Paramount tier community benefits for the duration of your active patronage. You may cancel or downgrade your pledge at any time and still keep the twenty digital products and any other digital or tangible product you received / downloaded during your active patronage.