Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick 022: Ask Me Anything (Part 1 of 2)
This episode of Sonitotum features my answers to questions asked by listeners — what the online folk call an “AMA” (Ask Me Anything). You know I tend to be long-winded, so of the six questions submitted, this episode covers three. Stay tuned for the other three in episode twenty three… you might want to subscribe so you don’t miss it!
- Rebecca Burns asked, “Have any of your story characters been influenced by real-life people (friends, enemies, colleagues, family, authors, politicians, actors, etc)–if so, who, how, and why? (and do they know or is it a secret homage?)”
- J. C. Hutchins asked, “What is your process for crafting believable, relatable characters in your fiction?”
- Rebecca also asked, “Who is your biggest cheerleader? Who encourages you to persevere as an artist?”
Listen to the episode for my answers!
Links and Topics Mentioned In This Episode
- Brave Men Run, the first of my Sovereign Era novels and stories.
- Mission Viejo, California.
- The O’Neal family.
- The Segerstrom family.
- Pilgrimage, the second Sovereign Era novel.
- Sorry, Jennifer Aniston. I’ll have my people call your people.
- “Get to Know Your Worst Self,” my article on how to write bad guys.
- Light of the Outsider, my latest novel.
- My article on beating procrastination for writers and other creators.
- WTF with Marc Maron.
- Talk Easy with Sam Fragoso.
- Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum (apologies, Michael, for spacing out on your last name…)
- Scott Roche, author of the Esho St. Claire Mysteries, and other works.
- My interview on the World Craft Club Podcast.
- My favorite reader review of Light of the Outsider… so far…
- Consider becoming a member of my mailing list community of friends and fans… it’s free, and I’ll send you my first novel as a thank you.
- If you have the desire and the means, consider lending your support to my creative endeavors — become a patron.
- Want to get in touch with me? I mention a lot of ways in the episode. You could start here.
Subscribe to Sonitotum
The best way to listen to Sonitotum is to subscribe. That way, new episodes automatically appear in your podcast player app or software as soon as they’re published.
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below
This just in: you can now also subscribe to the show via Amazon Music.
And of course, you can also receive e-mail notices every time there’s a new episode of Sonitotum.
Be A Guest on Sonitotum
I’m always interested in talking to independent creators willing to have a transparent, in-depth, unguarded conversation about making stuff, finding success as you define it, and staying healthy and sane in the process. Check out this episode with musician Emma Wallace to get a sense of what I’m talking about.
Fill out this form, and when you do, select “Sonitotum Podcast Guest Inquiry” as your contact category.
Equipment and Software
For those who are interested (folks sometimes ask), here are the hardware and software tools I use to make Sonitotum. I have affiliate arrangements with some of these products and services. If you make a purchase when you click through using my links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. It’s a great way to help support the podcast… so thank you!
- Aurycle a460 large diaphragm studio condenser microphone
- Akai Professional MPD218 (MIDI drum pad controller for performing drum parts of “Anastasia”)
- Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD (audio interface for directly connecting microphones and musical instruments to a computer)
- Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (digital audio workstation / music creation software — used when recording and producing “Anastasia” and “Gwinton”)
- Adobe Audition CC (digital audio workstation for recording, editing, and producing audio — used to mix and produce the podcast)
- Zencast.fm (podcast media file hosting and distribution service)
- Dreamhost (Website hosting — I’ve been their client since January of 2007! Can you say that about your web hosting company?)
What Did You Think About This Episode?
What are your thoughts? Let’s hear from you in the comments!
Help Support Creative Endeavors
I offer thousands of words of free fiction and articles, as well as hours and hours of free podcast content. I hope it’s all entertaining, informative, and interesting!
If you’d like to support my creative endeavors and help offset the costs — both material, and in terms of resources and energy — to maintain this site, I’ll be grateful for your generosity.
Here are a few ways you can help.
Become a Patron
Pledge your support of my creative endeavors through your monthly gift of $1.00 ~ $5.00. Click the “Pledge Now” button to learn all about becoming a patron!
Give A One-Time Donation
Moved to contribute? Make a one-time donation in any amount according to your means and your desire. Click the “Donate Now” button and give right now!
Go Shopping at Amazon
Need something from Amazon.com? Use the “Shop Now” button and I’ll earn a small commission from your purchases at no extra charge to you.