In Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick episode 045, the topic is the unfortunate and all too common tendency for writers to compare themselves to other writers. I confess my own shortcomings in this regard, and offer suggestions for a different, healthier way to view how we think about the success and quality of other authors’ careers and work in relation to our own.
Do you compare yourself to other writers, or other creators in your field? I want to hear about it. Leave a comment!
Links and Topics Mentioned in This Episode
- Be sure to pre-order my next work, the non-fiction book for writers, Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure.
- When I’m done with Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure, I’ll return to my next novel, Shadow of the Outsider, the follow-up to Light of the Outsider and “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay.”
- Get free weekly serial fiction delivered via email when you subscribe to Hazy Days and Cloudy Nights: “How It All Got Started.”
- Publisher Rocket is a very useful tool for all independent authors. If you sell your books on Amazon, you need Publisher Rocket to guide your choice of genres, keywords, and so much more.
- I mention Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick 043: Writing is Hard a couple of times in the episode. Have you heard it yet?
- James Baldwin was an American writer and civil rights activist of some renown. The quote I refer to in the episode is from this interview in The Paris Review, which you really should read in its entirety.
This episode was made possible in part by the patronage of listeners like you, including J. C. Hutchins and Ted Leonhardt. Want to support the show and be listed in the credits, plus get lots of other goodies, perks, and exclusive access? Become a patron — and join at the Paramount tier before August 31, 2022 to get $100 worth of digital books, audiobooks, and music!
Also! Don’t forget:
For a Limited-Time: All My Books and Music at a HUGE Discount!
Big news! You can get up to 80% off my entire digital catalog of e-books, audiobooks, and music — worth over $100 — when you pledge to become a Paramount Patron for just $20.00 per month!
Become a Paramount-tier patron in the month of August, 2022 and get 14 fiction and non-fiction titles (including 14 e-books and six audiobooks) and six music titles (two full-length albums, one EP, and three singles — 49 songs plus printable lyrics) when you pledge — plus all the benefits of Paramount patronage:
- Every new creative work I create for the duration of your active patronage, including digital and print editions
- Real world goodies every three months for the first year of your active patronage
- A one-on-one call with me every three months
- Over-the-shoulder access to my works in progress — often while I’m working
- Monthly group video chats with me and your fellow patrons
- Access to my notes and other materials supporting my creative works in progress
- The uncut, unedited edition of Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick, including exclusive content
- Shout-outs and acknowledgements in the podcast, in books, and on the patron roster on this site
- Access to an exclusive Discord chat room for community members
You must become a Paramount patron before noon on August 31st, 2002 (Pacific Time / UTC -7) to receive my entire digital catalog. Don’t wait!
Get My Complete Digital Catalog to Date:
- Books! Science Fiction, Fantasy, Literary, Horror, and Non-Fiction:
- Brave Men Run — A Novel of the Sovereign Era (e-book editions)
- “The World Revolves Around You — A Sovereign Era Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- The Sovereign Era: Year One — A Sovereign Era Anthology (e-book editions)
- “Canary in a Coal Mine — A Sovereign Era Tale” by P.G. Holyfield (e-book editions)
- Paramount — A Novel of the Sovereign Era (e-book editions)
- “The News from Bewilder Pond — A Sovereign Era Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Light of the Outsider — The Outsider Trilogy Volume One — A Novel of the Shaper’s World Cycle (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay — A Tale of the Shaper’s World Cycle” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “Reggie vs Kaiju Storm Chimera Wolf — a Daikaiju Universe Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “Cloak — A Tale of the Protector Cycle” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Four Stories — A Literary Collection of Stories and Essays (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Worldbuilding for Writers, Gamers, and Other Creators: Star, Planet, Moon (e-book editions)
- Reading “The Amazing Spider-Man” — A Fun Critical Review for Writers (e-book editions)
- Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure — Three Things Every Independent Author Must Have for Self-Publishing Success (e-book editions)
- Music! Analog and Digital Solo Acoustic and Semi-Acoustic Studio and Live Recordings:
- Hundred Seller / Background Music — EP and Live Album Collection (MP3 and PDF files)
- Test Pressing — LP (MP3s and PDF files)
- Anyman: The John Smith EP (MP3s and PDF files)
- “Anastasia — Theme from Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick” — single (MP3 file)
- “Gnatcatcher — Theme from The DIY Endeavors Podcast” — single (MP3 file)
- “The Ghost in You” — Psychedelic Furs cover — single (MP3 file)
How It All Works
Pledge as a patron at the Paramount patron level for $20.00 per month — you’ll gain immediate access to all patron benefits, including the Discord chat room and lots of exclusive content. After this special offer ends at noon PDT on August 31, 2022, you’ll receive access to my entire commercially released digital catalog to date. Your patron pledge will automatically renew on the first of every subsequent month, giving you access to all future products (digital and print) and all Paramount tier community benefits for the duration of your active patronage. You may cancel or downgrade your pledge at any time and still keep the twenty digital products and any other digital or tangible product you received / downloaded during your active patronage.