Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick episode 062 revisits my infrequent rant against genres and nested categories, especially on Amazon.com — but this time, I present a way to fix it — a way that improves discovery of authors and brings readers more of what they’ll love.
Also, an update on my creative endeavors, observing eleven years since I had a regular full-time job for someone else, and new patron-only additions to my website!
Links and Topics Mentioned in This Episode
- Hazy Days and Cloudy Nights: “How It All Got Started” is my fiction serial set in the 1980s and delivered weekly, for free, to subscribers. Get in on it and start at the beginning! Or, read every installment to date when you join the member community!
- My wiki is the storehouse of all my notes and “behind the curtain” information regarding my fiction, non-fiction, worldbuilding, songs, poetry… all of it, and I’m adding to it all the time. Access is another perk of community membership!
- Speaking of: the patron community receives the uncut, unedited version of every episode. For this episode, they’re privy to almost nine minutes (another 20%!) of extra content! Want in on that? Become a patron for at least $5.00 per month (cancel any time) and get a bunch of other perks and special access, too.
- Around thirty people listen to each new episode of this show during the first week it’s released. Every month the member community has at least twenty members, I will donate 10% of net patron revenue to 826 National in support of literacy and creative writing advocacy for children. Let’s go!
- Oh, and speaking of patronage: This episode was made possible in part by the patronage of listeners like you, including Ted Leonhardt and Chuck Anderson! Want to support the show and be listed in the credits, plus get lots of other goodies, perks, and exclusive access? Become a patron with a $5 monthly pledge!
- I’m renewing my interest in computer graphics, environment design, and related stuff. The best free tools are Blender and Unreal Engine.
- The course I’m taking for Blender is Complete Blender Creator 3.2: Learn 3D Modelling for Beginners.
- The Unreal Engine course I’ll be dipping into later this month is Unreal Masterclass. The instructor, Unreal Sensei, has a ton of free YouTube resources and tutorials, too.
- My Shaper’s World storyworld, which I dream of creating in an immersive 3D environment, so far includes the novel Light of the Outsider and the novelette “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay.”
- Not just science fiction: Ray Bradbury‘s period mysteries, Death is a Lonely Business, A Graveyard for Lunatics, and Let’s All Kill Constance, are simply delightful. How many readers of The Martian Chronicles even know they exist?
- The works of Ursula K. Le Guin.
Love Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick and would like to make a one-time donation in support of the show? Donate via PayPal or leave a tip via Ko-Fi, with my grateful thanks.