In this 85th episode of Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick, I present my thoughts and reflections after attending the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Association 2023 58th Nebula Awards conference in Anaheim, California.
Rather than a minute-by-minute recap of the conference and the 58th annual Nebula Awards ceremony, this is a more personal recollection of my experience, as well as musing on What It All Means (including, if I may be so bold, the very purpose and meaning of science fiction and fantasy in the twenty first century).
Those recollections and musings come as more-or-less verbatim reading of an early draft of the Sonitotum article on the same subject. Listen and read!
Also! Big news:
You can now try my Multiversalists patron member community of readers, writers, friends, and fans with a FREE seven day trial before you commit!
This episode was recorded on May 23th, 2023.
Links and Topics Mentioned in This Episode
- My creative services for authors and other creators.
- A post I wrote about my mother, whose death was one of the many things that happened in the sixteen years since attending my last in-person events.
- The books and other written works I’ve released in that time and before.
- The “slight return” episode of Sonitotum that re-launched the podcast in 2022.
- The Alliance of Independent Authors.
- The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Association. Consider joining!
- Maybe you would like to be a future guest on Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick? Learn more!
- The late George Perez.
- Voice actor Matthew Mercer.
- The Infinity Award for Octavia Bulter.
- Shadow of the Outsider is my work in progress, an epistolary fantasy novel and the follow-up to Light of the Outsider and “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay.”
- Hazy Days and Cloudy Nights: “How It All Got Started” is my ongoing serial fiction project available exclusively to members of my mailing list community of friends and fans. Get in on it for free!
- Next episode will feature my conversation with Canadian fantasy author Krista Walsh.
- Big thanks to my Multiversalists patron community, including Amelia Bowen, Ted Leonhardt, Chuck Anderson, and J. C. Hutchins! This episode took about six hours to record, edit, produce, and publish, so I’m incredibly grateful for the support of my patrons. If Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick brings you joy, become a patron!
- The Multiversalists patron member community receives the uncut, unedited version of every episode. For this episode, patrons get nearly 26% more content! Want in on that? Become a patron for at least $5.00 per month (FREE seven day trial to start; cancel any time) and get a bunch of other perks and special access, too.
- Every month the member community has at least twenty members, I will donate 10% of net patron revenue to 826 National in support of literacy and creative writing advocacy for children. Let’s go!
Love Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick and have the desire and means to make a one-time donation in support of the show? Donate via PayPal or leave a tip via Ko-Fi, with my grateful thanks.