Episode 058 of Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick examines how and why you should design a creative franchise around your fiction.
There’s some discussion / opining online regarding the Disney+ show Andor… specifically, complaints that, while it’s excellent TV, it’s “not Star Wars.”
I’m here to tell you why that’s a narrow-minded perspective to adopt, especially for creators… and how you can, and should, emulate the same approach as huge media properties with your own fiction, no matter where you are in your creative career.
Links and Topics Mentioned in This Episode
- There are new words written on Shadow of the Outsider, the follow up to my previous novel Light of the Outsider and the novelette “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay.” Huzzah!
- I mention the storyworlds I work in that are specifically designed from the ground up to be creative franchises: The Shaper’s World, the Sovereign Era, Daikaiju Universe, and the Protector Cycle. Check out what I’ve released so far.
- My latest non-fiction book is Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure, a distillation of some of what I teach when I coach new writers considering self-publishing.
- I mention the day job, which is helping authors, podcasters, and other creators bring their creative endeavors to fruition, to market, and to an audience. Can I help you?
- Have you checked out my resources page? It describes many of the software and hardware tools and services I use every day to make things and help others make things.
- Hazy Days and Cloudy Nights: “How It All Got Started” is my fiction serial set in the 1980s and delivered weekly, for free, to subscribers. Get in on it and start at the beginning!
- My patron community receives the uncut, unedited version of every episode. For this episode, they’re privy to about ten minutes of extra content! Want in on that? Become a patron for at least $5.00 per month (cancel any time) and get a bunch of other perks and special access, too.
- Around thirty people listen to each new episode of this show during the first week it’s released. If most of the listeners became Exceptional patrons ($5.00 per month), patron revenue would surpass $100 per month, and I could begin donating 10% every month to 826 National in support of literacy and creative writing advocacy for children. Let’s go!
- Oh, and speaking of patronage: This episode was made possible in part by the patronage of listeners like you, including J. C. Hutchins and Ted Leonhardt. Want to support the show and be listed in the credits, plus get lots of other goodies, perks, and exclusive access? Become a patron with a $3, $5, $10, or $20 monthly pledge!
- The creator / showrunner of Andor is Tony Gilroy, who wrote and / or directed the Bourne franchise of movies and the best of the latest Star Wars movies, Rogue One.
- I reference an article I wrote about the Lucasfilm sale to Disney, back when. You can read it here.
Love Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick and would like to make a one-time donation in support of the show? Donate via PayPal or leave a tip via Ko-Fi, with my grateful thanks.