Welcome up, listeners! In this 66th episode of Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick, I discuss the potential impact of artificial intelligence on creative endeavors. In particular, we look at ChatGPT and Stable Diffusion, especially as the former applies to and affects creative writers.
Should writers fear artificial intelligence? Listen to find out!
This episode was recorded on January 7th, 2023.
Links and Topics Mentioned in This Episode
- Words were added to my patron-exclusive wiki and to my work in progress novel, Shadow of the Outsider, the follow-up to Light of the Outsider and “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay.”
- In talking about the “big picture” article I wrote for the wiki, I mention early influences Michael Moorcock, Stephen King, Marvel Comics, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert Heinlein, H. P. Lovecraft, Ursula K. LeGuin, and Julian May.
- Big thanks to my Multiversalists patron community, including Amelia Bowen, Ted Leonhardt, Chuck Anderson, and J. C. Hutchins! Join them for five dollars a month for lots of exclusive content and access!
- As soon as the Multiversalists member community is thirty patrons strong, every other episode of Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick will feature an interview with a writer or other creator. These “evergreen” conversations will emphasize the what the creator makes, how they find success and how they define it, and their methods for staying healthy and sane in the process. In the days between recording this episode and releasing it to the world, I’ve already received a dozen inquiries from authors! Be like them, creators!
- Stable Diffusion is text-to-image artificial intelligence you can install on your own computer.
- ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence chatbot that some see as a threat to the careers and creative expression of authors and writers.
- I use “the benefits of warm milk before bed” as an example of an article topic one might ask ChatGPT to expand upon. Here’s a screen shot of what it actually came up with. Note that every one of the citations are entirely fictional.
- Here is the Lester Dent pulp fiction short story formula.
- I mentioned the Sonitotum episode in which I reveal how to fix Amazon.com.
- Ben Moran’s art was banned from a Reddit channel after being misidentified as “AI art.”
- Seth Godin has his take on AI art. Not so sure we’re sympatico this time.
- Apple now accepts AI voices for audiobook narration. BOOOOOOOOOO.
- I created these images using Stable Diffusion on my computer.
- The “uncanny valley.”
- What’s a player piano?
- The Multiversalists patron member community receives the uncut, unedited version of every episode. Want in on that? Become a patron for at least $5.00 per month (cancel any time) and get a bunch of other perks and special access, too.
- Every month the member community has at least twenty members, I will donate 10% of net patron revenue to 826 National in support of literacy and creative writing advocacy for children. Let’s go!
- When we hit thirty members, I’ll start releasing the interviews with authors and other creators I’m recording right now! C’mon!