This episode of Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick is a park cast! It’s just too hot and stuffy in the lush (as in swampy) and lavish studios of MWS Media, so I recorded this one strolling around a big local park. Enjoy the ambience as I talk about how and why new fiction writers (heck, all fiction writers) must avoid the pit of mediocrity that is tropes and genre expectations.
Do you want your fiction to be known for what it’s similar to? Or do you want people to hold up your work as the new standard? Just say nope to tropes, and write from your heart and soul.
“If you make cookies with cookie cutters, your cookies will look just like the cookies from everyone else who bought those cookie cutters.”
What do you think? Leave a comment; let’s talk about it!
Links and Topics Mentioned in This Episode
- My new non-fiction book for writers, Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure, comes out on August 30, 2022 everywhere you buy e-books. Click that link and buy direct from me!
- Mentioned around the nine minute, thirty second mark: Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick 043: “Writing is Hard.”
- I cite a quote attributed to Orson Welles: “The absence of limitation is the enemy of art.”
- Want to go waaaaay down the rabbit hole of tropes? Check out TVTropes.org.
- My (far as I know) trope-less fantasy novel is Light of the Outsider. You should read it.
- My very trope-y first novel is Brave Men Run. Lots of people have read it. You should, too!
- My second novel, a follow-up to my first, is far less trope-y and reflects my growing maturity and ability as a writer. It’s called Pilgrimage, and you should read it, too!
- Authors I mention off the top of my head whose work defines a genre rather than being defined by a genre: Leo Tolstoy. Anton Chekhov. O Henry. Raymond Chandler. Ursula K. Le Guin. Ray Bradbury.
- My patron community receives the uncut, unedited version of every episode. For this episode, they’re privy to almost fifteen minutes of extra content! Want in on that? Become a patron for at least $5.00 per month (cancel any time).
This episode was made possible in part by the patronage of listeners like you, including J. C. Hutchins and Ted Leonhardt. In my park-wandering state of mind, I didn’t mention them in the original recording and so inserted my grateful thanks “in post.” Want to support the show and be listed in the credits, plus get lots of other goodies, perks, and exclusive access? Become a patron — and join at the Paramount tier before August 31, 2022 to get $100 worth of digital books, audiobooks, and music!
Also! Don’t forget:
For a Limited-Time: All My Books and Music at a HUGE Discount!
Big news! You can get up to 80% off my entire digital catalog of e-books, audiobooks, and music — worth over $100 — when you pledge to become a Paramount Patron for just $20.00 per month!
Become a Paramount-tier patron before August 31, 2022 and get 14 fiction and non-fiction titles (including 14 e-books and six audiobooks) and six music titles (two full-length albums, one EP, and three singles — 49 songs plus printable lyrics) when you pledge — plus all the benefits of Paramount patronage:
- Every new creative work I create for the duration of your active patronage, including digital and print editions
- Real world goodies every three months for the first year of your active patronage
- A one-on-one call with me every three months
- Over-the-shoulder access to my works in progress — often while I’m working
- Monthly group video chats with me and your fellow patrons
- Access to my notes and other materials supporting my creative works in progress22.09
- The uncut, unedited edition of Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick, including exclusive content
- Shout-outs and acknowledgements in the podcast, in books, and on the patron roster on this site
- Access to an exclusive Discord chat room for community members
You must become a Paramount patron before noon on August 31st, 2002 (Pacific Time / UTC -7) to receive my entire digital catalog. Don’t wait!
Get My Complete Digital Catalog to Date:
- Books! Science Fiction, Fantasy, Literary, Horror, and Non-Fiction:
- Brave Men Run — A Novel of the Sovereign Era (e-book editions)
- “The World Revolves Around You — A Sovereign Era Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- The Sovereign Era: Year One — A Sovereign Era Anthology (e-book editions)
- “Canary in a Coal Mine — A Sovereign Era Tale” by P.G. Holyfield (e-book editions)
- Paramount — A Novel of the Sovereign Era (e-book editions)
- “The News from Bewilder Pond — A Sovereign Era Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Light of the Outsider — The Outsider Trilogy Volume One — A Novel of the Shaper’s World Cycle (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “The Perfumed Air at Kwaanantag Bay — A Tale of the Shaper’s World Cycle” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “Reggie vs Kaiju Storm Chimera Wolf — a Daikaiju Universe Tale” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- “Cloak — A Tale of the Protector Cycle” (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Four Stories — A Literary Collection of Stories and Essays (e-book and audiobook editions)
- Worldbuilding for Writers, Gamers, and Other Creators: Star, Planet, Moon (e-book editions)
- Reading “The Amazing Spider-Man” — A Fun Critical Review for Writers (e-book editions)
- Indie Author Marketing Infrastructure — Three Things Every Independent Author Must Have for Self-Publishing Success (e-book editions)
- Music! Analog and Digital Solo Acoustic and Semi-Acoustic Studio and Live Recordings:
- Hundred Seller / Background Music — EP and Live Album Collection (MP3 and PDF files)
- Test Pressing — LP (MP3s and PDF files)
- Anyman: The John Smith EP (MP3s and PDF files)
- “Anastasia — Theme from Sonitotum with Matthew Wayne Selznick” — instrumental single (MP3 file)
- “Gnatcatcher — Theme from The DIY Endeavors Podcast” — instrumental single (MP3 file)
- “The Ghost in You” — Psychedelic Furs cover — single (MP3 file)
How It All Works
Pledge as a patron at the Paramount patron level for $20.00 per month — you’ll gain immediate access to all patron benefits, including the Discord chat room and lots of exclusive content. After this special offer ends at noon PDT on August 31, 2022, you’ll receive access to my entire commercially released digital catalog to date. Your patron pledge will automatically renew on the first of every subsequent month, giving you access to all future products (digital and print) and all Paramount tier community benefits for the duration of your active patronage. You may cancel or downgrade your pledge at any time and still keep the twenty digital products and any other digital or tangible product you received / downloaded during your active patronage.